Go to : Extraterrestrial Data Collection Centre The Alien's Voice Angels and Demons The Vault

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I can't see the honeyeaters for the plum tree

Spring is the time of year when two things happen: the majority of birds start breeding in Tenterfield, and decidious trees begin to regrow their leaves and new branches. Out the front of my bedroom window is a decidious plum tree that is really thick with leaves and branches and despite it being turned into a bush a few years ago it is thickening up so much now that I can barely see my Grevilleas anymore.

Today some honeyeaters visited my Grevillea and all I saw was a flash of feathers as the bird flew around. The honeyeater in question that I recorded in the video below is either the Eastern Spinebill, White-plumed Honeyeater or the Yellow-faced Honeyeater. I simply can't make out which species it is, not visually anyway. I haven't tried to audio identify this bird yet.

Getting a good video of any of the three honeyeater species that visits my Grevilleas is now going to be extremely difficult through this dense foliage. It was bad enough that I could only record these birds from inside my bedroom as they flew away every time I went outside. Either I do the best I can with what I can see or wait until the plum tree has grown larger branches so the Grevilleas are a lot more visible. But the problem is when this plum tree grows it gets thicker and there is not a lot of light that penetrates the ground underneath it.

I would not get rid of this tree for all the Tea in China. It is the best shade tree I have ever found in Tenterfield. In Summer, when the rest of my home is scorching hot my bedroom is nice and cool. When the tree is in full leaf the tree's shade is at least 10 degrees cooler than when you're in the sun. There are actually 2 of these plum trees out the front and both are trying to reestablish themselves to look like trees again.

0 comments :

Voice your opinion

If you leave a url to a website, as part of your comment, your comment will be deleted.

Thanks for commenting!

Rules:

Please make sure your comment is relevant, does not contain explicit material, swearing or anything harmful to the blog's writer, other commenters or anybody in general.

Features:
To add an image or gif type in [im]Add your image or gif URL here[/im]

To add a Youtube video as a comment use either one of the two codes below and replace the video url with the one you want to add as a comment.
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-WATCH-PAGE-ON-YOUTUBE-HERE]
[video=ADD-ENTIRE-VIDEO-URL-THAT-YOU-VIEW-ON-THE-watch?feature=player_detailpage-HERE]

 
Link 1Link 2Link 3Link 4Link 5Link 6Link 7Link 8Link 9Link 10Link 11Link 12Link 13Link 14Link 15Link 16Link 17Link 18Link 19Link 20 ♥ MORE OF YOUR CONTENT GOES HERE
The height of this container is set to "auto", so the height will automatically adjust itself when you add more content.

Photo albums

Videos